Interested in hosting an event at the Sandler Center? Below you will find information on booking policies and tech specs. For more info fill out the form on our Host An Event page.
Facility Holds may not be placed on dates more than twelve (12) months in advance. All dates for rentals are considered tentative until a fully executed contract and deposit has been received. Tentative dates requested by a potential lessee are held for two (2) weeks, after which time, the Sandler Center has the right to remove the hold and book another event on the date being held without prior notification to the potential lessee. The Sandler Center for the Performing Arts has the right to remove a hold before the two (2) week period is up, if it is deemed in the best interest of the Sandler Center. If another lessee makes a request for a tentative date being held, they will be given a second hold. If they are ready to sign a contract and make a deposit, the original lessee will be notified and given 48 hours to make a deposit and sign a contract.
Potential Lessees will receive a contract once they indicate they are ready to confirm a date. From the date of the contract, the Sandler Center will continue to hold the date for fourteen (14) days. If the potential lessee does not return the contract within this time limit, the Sandler Center has the right to remove the hold and contract with another party without prior notification to the potential lessee. When a contract is fully executed and the appropriate deposit is received, tentative dates then receive the status of confirmed.
Ticketing and Marketing
For ticketed events, tickets will not go on sale until a fully executed contract and deposit has been received by the Sandler Center. All promotional and marketing materials must be pre-approved by the Marketing Department of the Sandler Center prior to distribution. Distribution may not occur until a fully executed contract and deposit has been received by the Sandler Center.
What time may I hold my event at the Sandler Center?
Hours of Facility Use will be agreed to during the booking process and specified on your contract. However, no event may go past the hour of midnight including loadout for any non-touring production.
Can I put up decorations for my event?
All decorations, signs, and banners must be pre-approved by Sandler Center Management. All candles must be enclosed in glass and no open flame will be permitted otherwise. No decorations may be taped to the walls or windows. Helium balloons are only allowed in certain areas of the building and must be pre-approved.
Can I have event materials shipped to the Sandler Center?
Storage areas within the Sandler Center are limited so all shipments outside of the hours of use stated on the contract must be pre-approved.
Where can I park to unload my vehicles and where can my patrons park?
Access to the loading dock is limited for the safety of our guests. Please discuss with your specific needs with your Event Coordinator and arrangements will be made for necessary loading and unloading. Town Center offers many free parking garages for your guests. Please follow signs located in Town Center for appropriate parking facilities.
Is sound equipment included for my event at the Sandler Center?
Rental fees for sound equipment may apply and should be discussed in the initial planning meeting.
Who do I contact regarding catering for my event?
All catered events at the Sandler Center are through our preferred caterers. Please see the catering section on the Host An Event page for more information.
Deposits and Cancellation
Deposits are non-refundable and are due with the signed contract. Fifty (50%) percent of the estimate for non-ticketed events is due at the time of the contract and the remaining fifty (50%) percent is due five (5) business days before the event via cashier’s check or credit card. For ticketed events, please refer to the Presenter’s Guide for deposit schedule. A lessee may cancel at any time; however, the deposit is non-refundable.
The Sandler Center for the Performing Arts requires the lessee to provide insurance (in the amount of $1 million) for the use of the facility through an insurance policy. Such policy shall clearly state and show that said liability and property damage insurance is primary over any other existing coverage and that the Sandler Center for the Performing Arts, Global Spectrum LP, and the City of Virginia Beach are all named as additional insured under said liability and property damage insurance. Lessee shall provide certificate of insurance at least five (5) business days before the event. If an insurance certificate is not provided, lessee will be charged $.50 per person for the Sandler Center to cover the event. Regardless of insurance coverage, lessee shall indemnify and hold harmless the Sandler Center and its directors, officers, employees and agents from all losses, liabilities, claims, demands, suits, actions, payments and judgments arising in any way from the use of the facility or any other facilities by lessee and its employees, agents, contractors, subcontractors, customers, guests or other persons using the facilities as a result of the contract, including any and all expenses, costs, attorney’s fees incurred by the Sandler Center and other indemnified persons or entities in the defense of any suit or claim. The Sandler Center for the Performing Arts is not responsible to lessee for the loss of any personal property by the guests or employees of lessee.
For further information not provided here, please contact the Sandler Center at (757) 385-2555.
- Proscenium Width- 45’-0” min., 55’-0” max. Adjustable
- Proscenium Height- 30’-6”
- Depth from Plaster Line- 45’
- Depth of Lip- 6’ From Plaster Line
- Left Wing Space- 19’ X 45’
- Right Wing Space- 19’ X 45’
- Sprung, with Masonite Deck
- Traps- 5 @ 4’ X 8’ each, 3 DS parallel to PL, 1 @ 12’ US and 1 @ 20’ US, both Centered on CL.
- Harlequin Cascade Black/Grey Surface, 6 Panels 78.5” wide X 60’ Long (1 of the Panels is trimmed to 55’ long to fit our Proscenium opening)
- Approx. 12’ X 45’
- Lift Capability- 50lbs. per sq.ft. Gala Lift, Spiral Mech. Action (appx. 4,000lbs total lifted)
- Orchestra Shell - Wenger Diva, various configurations
- Steinway Model ‘D’ – 9’ Grand, Black Finish
- Boston upright spinnett
- Digital Projection M- Vision – 21000-lumen projector
- Stewart 35’ X 17’ Film Perf Screen
- Capability to hang Chain Motors in various locations in Gridiron
- Forestage Rigging Platform- 45’ wide (22.5’ each side of CL) 10’ DS of Proscenium
- Chain Hoists-4 CM Lodestar’s [email protected] Ton, [email protected]/2 Ton
- Fly System- 50 Single Purchase Linesets- Some are permanently assigned to Concert Shell and Screen (See Hanging Schedule).
- Operating Gallery- On Deck Located Stage Right
- Mid Gallery – 21’-0”
- Loading Galleries- Lower- 58’-9”Upper- 66’-9”
- Lighting Gallery-Stage Left- 21’-0”
- Grid Iron- 75’-0”
- Roof Beam- (Bottom)- 82’-0”
- 2 Scrims- Black and White
- 1 Cyclorama- Leno Bounce
- 1 Stage Traveler, Pair, No Fullness
- 4 Sets of Legs, No Fullness
- 4 Borders
- House Main on Traveler and Guillotine
- 3 Services Located Up Stage Left
- 2 @ 400Amps per leg 3 Phase- 5 Wire - Cam Locks (N & G are Male)
- 1 @ 100 Amps per leg 3 Phase- 5 Wire – Bare Wire
- Yamaha PM-5D RH 48 Inputs
- 24 Mix Outs, 8 Matrix Outs, 12 31-Band Graphic EQs
- 5 Complete Yamaha Effects Processors
- Yamaha M7CL-32
- Supplemental Consoles - LS-9 (racked), 01v96, 1402VLZ